Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DQ Moolatte Wannabees

On a hot day, there's nothing better than a trip to Dairy Queen....now brought home to you!

 Pre-crushing the ice was a new experience for Ellie

Adding in the sugar to make the moolattes nice and sweet! ;)

Scooping up the Schwann's...YUM!

The taste test!


The Reviews:
"Better than the Moolatte I had at DQ once! It's good!" ~Ellie's mom
"Tasty." ~Ellie's dad
"It's coffee, so it's good." ~Davis
"It good have been smoother, but it still tasted good." ~Gabe 

Rachel's Recipe Review:
I love coffee, and i love ice cream...so before we even did this recipe, I knew I'd love it. It's been super hot here, so it was nice to try a cool dessert again (I hoped I'd like it more than our Watermelon Sorbet though...haha). I get Moolates at DQ, but I've never actually made one, so I was surprised by alllll the different ingredients it entailed. We used yummmy Schwann's ice cream and good, strong coffee, so I think that really helped add a nice, rich flavor. Personally, I thought the coffee flavor could've been a bit stronger (coming from a coffee drinker, though).... and I would've drizzled caramel instead of chocolate on the whipped cream (I LOVE caramel). Also... in comparison to DQ's Moolates, I think theirs have a better consistency (most likely because they use soft serve). All in all, this was a yummy treat, that I'd most definitely make again.

Ellie's Recipe Rambling:
Wow! These were sure tasty!! But then...I do like anything with ice cream! :) When I ate it, I didn't really think of it as a Dairy Queen Moolatte--it was good, but something different. I think a big factor in this is that DQ uses DQ's smooth, creamy soft-serve ice cream, and we used Schwann's ice cream from the bucket (which is still DELICIOUS, but quite a different consistency). The ice cream in them does add a nice smoothness though; my family often makes iced cappuccinos, and I liked the addition of ice cream in these. Also--whenever we make iced cappuccinos, we just use a cappuccino powder, but these moolattes and REAL coffee in them, which I thought added GREAT flavor! :)

"Ice cream is happiness condensed." ~Jessi Lane Adams

2 comments: